Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mon cadeau de Noël

Mes amis,

Today was like a Christmas gift. Having this extra day in Paris refreshed my spirit and I'm ready to brace for tomorrow. 

I tried to sleep in, but still woke up at 9:30. Oh well. It was just nice to have my room and such to myself. After getting ready, I headed to the Marais and went to the Musée d'art et d'histoire du Judaïsme. It was in an old hôtel particulier and chronicled Jewish life in Europe from the Middle Ages to present day. Wow, just incredible. It's such a nice break from the Gothic, Madonna and Childs of Catholicism. The art is much more nature inspired, plus the use of calligraphy is also beautiful. Hebrew and Yiddish is a nice break from Latin. Overall, just a beautiful museum with beautiful objects. It really was like learning of a whole new world and culture.

After, I ventured to Angelina and got my wonderful hot coco to go. I got the most evil stares from people waiting in line to eat. They clearly new I got the hot coco, and I was happy. Oh well, a line is what you get when you decide to eat at a celebrated tea room on a Sunday. Plus, I would have gone all American on their butt considering the hell I went through on Saturday.

Anywho! I then decided to go through the jardin de Tuileries, which was more of a trudge. The snow and sleet made for quite the walking mess. Realizing I needed shelter, and a good place to read A Moveable Feast, I was able to silently walk into the Église de Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois and read some Hemingway in a side chapel with great light and few people. 

After that, the weather got better, so I ventured to the Arc de Triomphe! I got to climb for free and see the beautiful view of Paris. The sky was amazing: blue sky with fast moving clouds and a setting sun. My eyes welled up! 


After that, I went to a specific memorial, dedicated to the victims of the Velodrome d'Hiver disaster. Look it up to find out more; it's such a tragic event. The memorial was moving, and also the tears came again. But to lighten up the day, I ventured to Le Bon Marché which I LOVED!! A totally different atmosphere. I finished my day at the Chapelle de la Médaille Miraculeuse. 


Overall, this day was a gift. Say prayers that I get home tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment