Friday, December 17, 2010

La fin

Joyce Jonathan is currently playing in the background. Snow is lightly falling outside. My luggage is almost completely packed, and almost to full capacity. British Airways will definitely be making extra money off of me. The room looks almost bare with our stuff back in our luggage. It just seemed like yesterday I was awing at the size of our room.

Today was a day that I was expecting, but still took me off guard. Today was, unfortunately, about goodbyes.

I said goodbye to Père Lachaise and the illustrious names on tombstones. I said goodbye to my classroom building. To the baker and her son. I said goodbye to the Musée d'Orsay, sending my regards to Renoir, Monet, Manet, van Gogh and Sisley as I walked along the corridors of art. I said goodbye to Notre-Dame, who, while always flooded with tourists, still offered a little calm today. I said goodbye to the glittering Tour Eiffel, which still amazes me. I said goodbye to the Seine that flows through this city that I've fallen in love with.

I said goodbye to Les Merveilleuses Alexia, Danica and Jane, three women who made my experience so wonderful. I said goodbye to my fellow students, and goodbye to the few close friends I made on this trip. Tomorrow I will say goodbye to Monsieur et Madame d'Ollone, who I am hoping will continue to be a part of my life through email and phone chats.

But, as hard as the goodbyes are, another door opens.

I will say hello to New England, to Massachusetts, to Boston! I will say hello to my mom, my dad, Doogie, my grandparents. I will say hello to my cousins that I haven't seen in over a year. I will say hello to Newburyport, to the brick downtown. I will say hello to the Merrimack River, to the Atlantic Ocean. I will say hello to my dearest friends from childhood and high school. I'll then say hello to Newport, to Salve. Hello to my beloved college friends and professors. And, I'll say hello to myself, changed and unchanged, as I reenter my country.

I wish I could put into words my love for the USA and for France. Unfortunately I can't, but someone I know can. Take it away fellow Francophile Jamie:


"That’s the trouble, isn’t it - that it’s not about one or the other? It’s just always going to be like this.  Missing baguettes or baseball.  Missing la vie à Paris or life in Boston." 

To all who have kept up with this blog and reading, I send my warmest regards. 

My time in Paris has been some of the happiest moments of my life. If only I could clone myself so I could experience la vie Parisienne and la vie Américaine. But I know, I know in my heart of hearts, I will return. I'll see some of my favorite sights and visit some things I never got to see. (surprising isn't it?)

As I have said all day, c'est toujours à bientôt, ne jamais adieu. It's always see you soon, never farewell. 

Merci beaucoup, Paris. 

Avec amour,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment