Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Consumer Christmas?

Today, I ventured to Galeries Lafayette, perhaps one of the most famous department stores in the world. It happens to be right next to Au Printemps, another famous department store.

Well first off, they don't call them les grands magasins for nothing. GL was HUGE and put Macy's to shame. Shame shame shame on you Macy's.

Like my mom said when she was here, the GL is a museum... of globalization, consumerism, and wealth. This isn't a place where you'll find Martha Stewart brand tablecloths. Burberry, Hugo Boss, Chanel, Hermes, Prada, all of the big world leaders in luxury under one roof. One beautiful roof.

But frankly, I maybe spent 15 minutes in there, because it was SWAMPED. So many people running around in different directions to buy that Burberry scarf or new Chanel perfume. I got so overwhelmed and just ran like a bat out of Hell.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to Le Bon Marché, another department store but with a totally different attitude. I've been told it's much quieter and a total different experience. So, I shall go.


The clock is ticking!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment