Saturday, December 18, 2010

La fin? Au contraire!

Mes amis!

I don't know if this was an act of God, Mother Nature, or a bit of both. Bit somehow, my stay in Paris is a bit longer. Let's begin this epic.

So, saying goodbye, got that out of the way. The drive down to the airport was fine, everything looked fine. Until I see in read letters, next to my flight number, "Canceled."

For a second, I panicked.

As I saw a massive line of people waiting to get their flights changed, I saw some other students from AIFS. Honestly, thank God they were there. I joined them, and it was nice to be with familiar faces. We also made friends with two other passengers; one very nice Irishman on his way to Shannon, and a students named Annie.

We were in line, and kept waiting...and waiting... and waiting. In total? Just over 7 hours in line. It was like being in the inner most circle of Hell. And the line got long, so long that I bet people are currently sleeping on the floor of Charles de Gaulle.

When I got to the desk, the best they could do would be a Monday flight, with a layover in Montreal. I said no thank you.

Luckily, La Merveilleuse Danica was able to finagle flights. I have a Monday flight, DIRECT!! It leaves at 1ish and I'll be on Boston for 3ish. Doogie shall be awaiting me.

Getting back from the airport was a struggle. Me and Greta had to lug our heavy luggage on the RER, then to the Metro to get home. I don't know how I did it on my own... in the Metro... and the snow.

Needless to say, seeing my host family again brightened up my day. They made me a wonderful dinner, and are just going on with life. What touched me the most was when my host dad said, "But Ben, you're home!"

I gave him a look, and he replied, "You yourself mentioned in the Christmas card you gave us, that Paris is now like a second home. Well, you are home now." Ladies and gentlemen, let the tears flow! So now I'm going to read a little Hemingway (A Moveable Feast) and sleep in. But obviously I'm not wasting a full day in Paris. It shall be the Museum of Jewish History and Art, then Angelina's!

No comments:

Post a Comment