Monday, November 1, 2010

Puis-je goûter?

That my friends was the phrase of the day. I'll explain later.

But first, Happy All Saint's Day!

I just have to mention, I'm currently watching Hocus Pocus with the biggest grin on my face. I didn't have the time to watch it yesterday, but since today and tomorrow (All Souls)  is related to Halloween, technically the holiday season isn't over yet.

So, as mentioned, Halloween was spent with lots of dead people. Today was a very different kind of day. First off, it didn't involve dead people, tombs or famous Frenchmen.

Instead, today was more of a treat.

In honor of All Saints and since I can't make it to Mass for All Souls, I ventured to Notre Dame for 10 AM Mass. While I much prefer the Mass offered at 12:45, the 10 AM I think is the most beautiful Notre Dame offers.

Pourquoi?


The 10 AM is the Gregorian Mass, which is to say: the Gregorian Choir Ensemble provides the music, and major parts of the Mass such as Gloria, Nicene Creed, Mass parts are said/sung in Latin. The choir sings a cappella and their talent is incredible. These people are talented musicians who have studied music, or are studying music, and range from the Children's Choir to Adult Choir. So, to sum it up: These people know their stuff.

After Mass, Kirstie and I met up to venture on the biggest Halloween treat I could imagine.

Le Salon du Chocolat. Qu'est-ce que c'est? 


At the Porte de Versailles metro stop, there are these GIANT exposition centers. This year, Paris was hosting the 16th annual SDC, and these exposition halls were filled to the brim with chocolatiers, bakers, and confectionery companies from Paris and all of France.

Their goal? Offer free samples of their chocolate goodness and get you to spend all your Euros.

Honestly, had I withdrawn all my money from my bank account, I could have easily spent all my money. I was more tempted there than walking along the Champs Elysees.

Needless to say, Kirstie and I were overwhelmed. Everywhere you looked there was a booth specializing in something: cookies, baked goods, cocao beans, chocolate bars, chocolate spreads, regional chocolates. Plus, the theme of the salon was sustainable/green chocolates. So everything was all natural and/or organic.

Now, I think it's very important to buy all natural/organic. Unfortunately, it's still not economically possible for everyone to buy everything AN/O. But I think, as a way to start, choose a couple items you love and can't live without. And buy those products AN/O. I think chocolate is easily one of those staples.

Okay, so as we wandered throughout the expo, we were able to partake in the free samples, including a little glass of Grand Marnier vanilla cognac. Talk about smooth, mon Dieu!! 


I purchased some heavenly cookies from this company called Laura Todd. I highly recommend you check out their website. While it's only in French, they are committed to baking and making wonderful culinary creations with AN/O ingredients. You can't argue that. I bought 6 and I currently have 3 left. They're delicious!!

I then purchased some regional chocolates from Marseilles. I guess the chocolates are made with olive oil, and are filled with this almond paste but it's not marzipan. I sampled them, fell in love and bought a box. I put those in the fridge and I'm going to return to the US with them; I'll greatly enjoy them when I'm depressed missing Paris.

After our trip, we of course got gyros frites for lunch. WIN.

But besides the chocolate, what the SDC taught me was:

*Confidence plays a HUGE key when speaking French.

*Volume also plays a huge park in speaking French.

*It's important to try out as much French as possible, and when all else fails, "Parlez-vous anglais?" 


I just got so nervous, too nervous. It probably didn't help being surrounded by huge crowds, but I'm glad it happened. Basically, I have to know that I'm confident in what I know so far in French, and what I don't know, I have to learn on my own. Or, if in conversation, ask "Parlez-vous anglais?" or warn the person beforehand, "Je vous demande pardon; je parle un petit peu français." 


That, plus the question "Comment dites-vous ... en français?" (How do you say .... in French?) is probably helpful. 


Just trying to speak in French, I have found, earns you some respect. It's never okay to go right into English. And it makes sense, you know? Even my mother, who can't speak French to save her life, listened to some French cd's and she, plus Mary, learned some essential phrases and therefore had an amazing time here. 


Well folks, this weekend, in essence, was a huge success. It's back to the grind tomorrow. Wish me luck. 


Bonne nuit et grosses bises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment