Sunday, November 7, 2010

J'adore le musée d'Orsay!!

I AM IN LOVE.

When you have fresh croissants for breakfast from your host family, you know the day has gotten off to a good start.

When you can enter the famed Musée d'Orsay, specializing in art from 1848-1915, for free, it's even better.

When you enter an architecturally beautiful museum, housing the works of Monet, Manet, Renoir, Pissarro, Degas, Cézanne, Gauguin, Sisley, Seurat, van Gogh, a special temporary exhibit on Gérôme, plus beautiful photography exhibits of the French countryside, you've died and gone to heaven.


And let me be honest, half of the men listed up there that I saw, I had never heard of before, or I've seen a piece by them and never made the connection. I simply fell in love with Alfred Sisley, someone who I had never heard of. His work just made me smile. 


And, I also had never heard of Gérôme either; needless to say the exhibit on him was flawless and I LOVED it. So many influences, from the East, Greco-Roman and also moments in French history. Such a perfect combination. 


There is NO DOUBT in my mind that I'll be going back. I covered a lot of ground, but I still didn't see other sections of the museum. I think I'll go again on 1st Sunday in December for free admission. And I've decided that the last week I'm here, I'll spend my Thursday night at the d'Orsay. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. 

1 comment:

  1. One of the most amazing museums I've been to! I am so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete