Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Update & Fontainebleau

First off, I apologize for the photo links being so dark. But if you highlight them, copy them and put them in the URL (I hope that's what it is), the photo album will appear on your screen. Fixed it! But it's so much easier for me, thank God!

Okay, well, I had my first French class today. I just find it funny that my class is at the Irish Cultural Center, which was originally the Irish College back in the day. It's a beautiful building I think is owned by the Sorbonne, and it has a beautiful courtyard and architecture. But I find it funny, being mostly Irish, and, coming from a college who's founding nuns were mostly Irish, and Boston's Irish influence is apparent. It's like I never left MA!

My class is a mixture of students from all over the world: USA, Mexico, Sweden, Russian, China, Japan, and Thailand. It's crazy! My professor is just fabulous, it's the best word to describe her. And perhaps a bit eccentric, but she's awfully sweet. She made sure to repeat that if we needed any help or needed to ask questions, she encouraged it. That's a far cry from the stern, impersonal Sorbonne instructor I was imagining. But it's great, I think I'll do well and enjoy the class.

I'm backtracking a bit, but here is the link for the photos of the Chateau de Fontainebleau I went to on Monday. I think I enjoyed it more than Versailles, and you saw so many rooms. The forests and gardens were so peaceful, and the parks free. If a train ride didn't cost money I'd try to go every other week, it's that beautiful.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=519763&id=756660499&l=9bbdd3591b


Lastly, I want to let everyone know that I'm okay. I say this because there are terror threats going around in Europe, and yes, I did read that France arrested 12 suspects in a counterterrorism sting. Of course, I'm being as careful as possible, staying alert in public. I've seen the step up in security, so the government isn't taking any chances. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open from State Dept. messages, so I got it covered. But good thoughts and prayers are always welcome, here's hoping things settle down in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment