Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Normandie et Bretagne

Here we finish off the weekend!

Saturday morning, I got up extremely early for the trip to Normandy & Brittany! We were lead by our fearless leader, the always nicely dressed British delight that is Jane, our cultural coordinator. (I hope you're reading!)

 We left and headed first to Caen, spending too little time at the Memorial de Caen, which is dedicated to peace. Don't let that last cheesy sentence fool you. This place is SO COOL. It chronicles WWII, the Cold War, the War in the Pacific, using an amazing amount of secondary sources. Unfortunately, due to time constraints (and some late-comers), we didn't spend too much time.

But, what we saw was jaw-dropping. We watched a film of the D-Day Invasion. It was a split-screen, showing the Allies on one side, and the Germans on the other. I'm sorry, but "Saving Private Ryan" can't compare to the real thing. I thought it was a good preparation for what we were to then see.

We visited the American Cemetery & Omaha Beach. Everyone, I will write very little, but what I will say is this: Like visiting Arlington National Cemetery, Pearl Harbor or Ground Zero, it's heavy. I was extremely emotional; I had tears going down my face the entire time, my bottom lip couldn't stay still and my nose ran. You are just overwhelmed by the beach, the white crosses, the names and lack of names on graves. Goosebumps take hold of you and you become so humbled.

After we went to the Point du Hoc, a high point on the cliffs were the Germans were stationed. Well, I had a blast! Suddenly I turned 6 years old, and I looked at the holes left by Allied bombing and destroyed bunkers with the eyes of a child. We ran around, explored, played soldier, honestly we had a ball! After this moment of merriment, we drove to our hotel in the charming city of St. Malo.

And let me tell you, I want to live here. Seriously.

For dinner that night, me and the always wonderful travel companion Kirstie had the following meal:

Galette (savory buckwheat pancake) with cheese and an egg.
Cider to drink.
Apple pie for dessert with ice cream & whipped cream.

Jealous? I thought so.

Sunday my travel companion and I walked along the ramparts of the city. Isn't that the coolest sentence? It was such a nice morning, no wind. We then had a wicked awesome breakfast, and then left St. Malo for.. Mont St. Michel!

Just imagine this little village, with an abbey dating from the 9th century, and during the day it's like a little mountain, surrounded by quicksand and mud. But when the tide comes in, it's an island! We got to explore the abbey which was beautiful; Mass was being said and I wish we had gotten their earlier so I could participate. After that we got lunch, I purchased a wonderful poster listing the genealogy of the French kings, and some butter biscuits.

We then drove home, getting back early enough where I met my mom and Mary!! They arrived on Saturday, and are staying until Sunday. We've had a lovely time. Expect a blog update soon. And pictures, be patient!

I realize I haven't said this often, but I miss and love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment