Saturday, October 2, 2010

Mon Dieu Batman!

Well, it's technically Sunday morning; I'm preparing to go to Mass in almost 9 hours. It'll happen.

So, since Thursday, the day of my wonderful fashion class, I've gone on more excursions that pretty much make me love life. And for your viewing pleasure, I'll keep this post in English. (See, I even decided not to write "in English" in French. I'm so good to you people!)

Friday we first went to the Chateau of Versailles. All I can say is, what a place. I plan on going back because there's so much more I didn't get to see, but what I did get to see was astounding. This whole experience is taking me to places that I've read in so many books. So finally, instead of imagining Versailles in my head, I finally was there, standing in the Hall of Mirrors. Just enthralling.

We finished off the day visiting the village of Giverny, where painter Claude Monet lived. We explored the gardens and his house. People, I had tears in my eyes. Everywhere there were pops of color and so much life. Seeing the pond with lily pads was surreal; his house was just as wonderful. And I managed to snag a poster for only 1.50 Euro. How insane! But I would go back to Giverny, just to sit on a bench and ponder the beauty of the place.

Saturday, well technically yesterday, I felt like a native. I went to the grocery store and the pharmacy, and I think I have some of my Metro stops known hands down. That, and knowing how to fandangle the locks on the doors. I also skyped with Kasey & Sarah which made my day. Later tonight, as in hours upon hours it shall be with Mom. Dad called me when I was on the Metro; I love it when he checks up on me. Always makes me smile.

What made today super special was Nuit Blanche, literally "White Night." The whole City of Paris, from 7 PM-7 AM is alive with arts festivals. Music, dance, art and everything in between. All over there are exhibits and shows, and they're all FREE. It was a blast. We got some cheap delicious kebabs, and we lived it up in Paris. It's such a dynamic city, and at night it's the best.

We saw this one exhibition of contemporary marble sculptures lit with different kinds of light. Not only could you take pictures, but you could touch the sculptures and feel the marble. Incredible.

We followed that by going to the Pont St-Louis for the 3D Bridge exhibit. Basically, imagine a lot of pipes with cloth, and you have good rhythm music plus lights creating many shapes. Unreal.

Lastly, me and Kirstie went to see this modern dance performance called The Kiss at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts. Just imagine: Sitting in a giant foyer of a renowned art institute. And in the center, are two dancer, male and female, in everyday wear. But basically, their dance is basically them kissing, moving in slow motion, recreating famous kissing scenes painted by masters like Rodin, Koons, Picasso, Munch and more. 


Even if I were allowed to take pictures, it wouldn't have done this performance justice. It was one of the most beautiful pieces of artistry I've ever seen. The dancer were focused just on each other, their energy, their fluidity, their movements. Sure, they shared some passionate kisses, but what was also beautiful was the control in their movement. From the tips of their toes to their pinkies to the movement of their hair, you felt their love, their energy. And it radiated, because other couples viewing changed their body language. You could see couples moving closer together, holding hands or holding each other. Just beautiful.


I was also thankful I stayed to see this, because Kirstie really wanted to see it, and she was so excited. It was wonderful to be with someone who loves and appreciates art, where in the form of music, fine arts & photography, or dance. She was just so happy, and I was glad we stumbled upon Place Sartre-Beauvoir too. Kirstie was thrilled again. 


I promise some pictures will be up. I think tomorrow, after Mass & lunch with Jamie (woo!) I'll plop myself down and relax. 


Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment