Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Une grève, un américain, et H&M: Une saga

Well folks, prepare yourselves. I wasn't planning on blogging today, but this has to be written for future generations. Everything written is factual... maybe:


So, I've been in search of H&M for a few weeks now; not for anything extravagant. So, the first H&M I went to only had women's clothes. I then researched a store close-ish to class, and I was ready.


Today was (and is) a gorgeous fall day. So after class and being in the AIFS office, I took my leisurely stroll towards H&M. Now, I knew today was the start of the metro strike. Basically, metro workers and all Parisians don't want Sarkozy to raise the retirement age to 62. It's currently 60. As I was walking through the Luxembourg Gardens, admiring the beautiful trees and plants, breathing in crisp air, enjoying the warmth of the sun, I thought, "I could get used to walking all day." 


Little did I know.


Upon reaching said street of H&M, I was face to face with a massive parade of angry striking Parisians, hundreds upon hundreds, singing the Marseillaise, carrying bloody spears with the heads of rich Parisians on top. Immediately I wanted to counter-protest, waving my blue flag with the golden fleur-de-lys, and shout "Vive le roi! Vive la reine! Vive les Bourbons!" Of course, I refrained as I feared for my life. If only I had a camera.


I then find H&M... CLOSED. Damn you angry Parisians!! Exhausted, I turned back, walking. I then felt one with these tired Parisians, so I thought, "I'll walk back home in solidarity!" I then witnessed a Metro stop, whose line would take me to my line. I was torn between two paths. Obviously I was bitter and in a big "F you!" to the striking Parisians, I took the Metro home... the very crowded Metro home.


So, now I'm trying to get back to room temperature, and perhaps after my endless amounts of homework, I may trudge out to the H&M on the Champs-Élysées, of course using the Metro. But we shall see. 


Will the strike continue? Will I ever make it to H&M? 

No comments:

Post a Comment