Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reflections on Language Learning

If there's one thing that I've learned from being here it is this: I love learning the French language and I want to keep learning.

What I find frustrating: Having been removed from a French speaking environment.

What I find more frustrating in general: The way foreign language is treated in the American educational system. I could go on for days, but I think it's quite absurd that in a 21st century world, we are not giving children the opportunity to learn a second language in grade school. (How I would have loved that!) I think it's ridiculous that if I wanted to send my child to a bi-lingual school (like the French American school in Boston), most of the time it's private and it's extremely expensive.

I am also frustrated in that I feel that part of my language learning at Salve was great, and half was bad. Freshman year was great, and I was looking forward to sophomore year. Intermediate was okay, but it was only one semester. (So DUMB, make it two semesters!) Then when I was here in Paris, my language course was only so-so. I had a disorganized instructor, but being surrounded by it (plus my awesome phonetics class), I was getting comfortable. Not so much trying to learn more, but getting comfortable.

I don't think I'm still comfortable with what I know and what I'd like to know. Which is why I bought a grammar workbook today, and I've decided that I'm going to really try and apply myself. This summer, it's one of my goals. Maybe classes or a tutor, who knows! I want to put the work in. I just wish the US Department of Education would think the same way!

No comments:

Post a Comment