Friday, March 16, 2012

"America is my country, and Paris is my hometown."

Gertrude Stein was right on the money with that one, wasn't she? Behold my friends, my final day in Paris is finished. The last thing I must do is pack, and take one more trip to see the Eiffel Tower light up.
And as I write this, I'm already getting upset about leaving. Damn.

I began my day with a most glorious walk to the Musee d'Orsay (after taking the Metro of course). How it has changed after being renovated!! By this time you could go all the way up, and trust me, I wish I had my camera. The view of Paris (facing Montmartre specifically) was just out of this world. Sacre Coeur (my least favorite building in Paris next to the Montparnasse Tower) was sitting on the famous hill. It really took my breath away.

The main jewel of the museum was the "Degas and the Nude" exhibit. It just amazed me at how many sketches he did of the same thing, just numerous! And as I was thinking this, I read a quote by him that read to this effect, "One must practice something ten times each, one hundred times." Well then, that answered my question! I was able to find my other favorite paintings in the museum, and also found myself the newest fan of Symbolism and Art Nouveau furniture.

After, I went over to the Tuileries, and sunbathed. The wind was blowing, the sun was shining, I had my baguette and all was right with the world.

Damn, Ben stop getting sad. Moving on!

After my time in the sun, I ventured to run an errand for ma chere maman. Along the way I stopped into l'eglise de Saint Roch, and I loved it, what a surprise! Then I went to get the shoes I've been meaning to buy. After waiting in Place des Vosges for the store to re-open, I got myself a new pair of shoes! And the owner of the store was great, when I said I spoke a little French, she laughed and worked with me, still speaking French! I was so thrilled!

I stopped back home to recharge, and made it for one final visit to le Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise, one of my favorite places in the entire city. After some good old fashioned grave hunting, I stopped on a bench, took out my Kindle, and joined the 6 other persons reading their books. The breeze was soft, the sun setting, I could just make out the Eiffel Tower in the distance. And I stopped, looked around, and then continued on.

How lucky am I to return to Paris, how blest am I to have made a connection with the D'Ollone family that they would have me back. How lucky am I to be in a city that I know like I know Boston.

I could go on and on, but let me say this. It's an unbelieveable feeling, and a true gift, to find a city, and more importantly, to find a country that resonates with who you are. People say this when they move from different states! It really makes an impact when you find a place to study or live and it sticks with you!

Will I return here? Abso-fucking-lutely you better believe it. My goals are to explore more of this wonderful nation, but Paris will always remain as the city that took my heart. Will I live here at all? God even if it were for a month I'd kill to do that. Who knows.

But I do know this: wherever I go, France and the city of Paris will always be here, ready to greet me. Ready to stimulate my mind, excite my palate, and refresh my spirit.

So, with a happy heart and teary eyes, I thank you, Paris. Thank you for these 8 precious days.

No comments:

Post a Comment