Saturday, September 11, 2010

Londres: Premiere partie

Don't worry folks, this will all be in English.

In a nutshell, London is great. I feel that there is a preconceived notion of how London looks, what London has, etc. But, I've found London to be a present surprise! So, let's begin with Friday.

Saying goodbye to the family wasn't bad. Everyone (including myself) seemed so excited. The flight over was quick and fine; did some napping, had some pretty impressive airline food. *snaps for British Airways* I was finally able to meet some of the other AIFS students; everyone seems chill and excited, but I think I'm finding out who I'll be hanging out with this semester.

The hotel? Fine. Concierge? Not fine; either it's really good or really poor. Oh well. The neighborhood is gorgeous; if I had millions I'd live in Kensington or Chelsea.

I hit the ground running on Friday with the afternoon and evening free. Jetlag? Child, please. I was pumped. My eyes were on the prize, and the prize was:

Westminster Abbey & The Tower of London. I was able to see both and navigate the Underground by myself. I was proud.

Westminster Abbey. How can I describe. It's a shame that they don't let you take pictures inside, but I respect that. You just look around, each corner is a tomb or memorial to either a famous poet, author, soldier,statesman, clergyman, royalty etc. The whole place just has a very British feeling about it, from who's buried there to the Abbey's connections to royalty, you just feel British and want to burst into "God Save the Queen." (I refrained)

I kid you not, when I walked in to view the tomb of Elizabeth I, my eyes welled up. Here I was, standing in the presence of the remains of Good Queen Bess, daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, and beside her is her sister Mary I. Two women, with such similar yet different stories: both suffered the loss of their mothers at the hands of their father, both had strong convictions, both ruled in their own right. They were victims and yet victors, so complex. And then, I made my way to see the tomb of Mary, Queen of Scots. She's just across from her cousin, Elizabeth I, the one who order's Mary's death. Again, the goosebumps and tears formed.

Besides them, I managed to see the tombs of Henry VII & Elizabeth of York, Anne of Cleves a la Henry VIII's wife #4, Margaret Beaufort among others. Perhaps the most moving part of Westminster was the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and seeing this giant green plaque reading, "Remember Winston Churchill, by request of the Queen & Parliament, this plaque was installed on the 20th anniversary of the Battle of Britain." (Don't you just feel the chills?)

After that, with plenty of time to kill, I headed to the Tower of London. Palace, prison, fortress, all in one. It's just amazing! All these turrets, all the buildings added on throughout the years, so incredible. The winding staircases, dark rooms, just puts you back in history. Seeing the Scaffold Site was surreal, along with going to the Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula, which holds the remains of Lady Jane Grey, Anne Boleyn & Katherine Howard. Traitor's Gate was also thrilling, the gate where Anne Boleyn was taken to the Tower, and, allegedly, when Elizabeth I was sent by orders of her sister. How lovely. The views from the complex were wonderful; great view of the River Thames & Tower Bridge.

After that whole day, we gathered for a welcome drink, and then a group of us got some dinner. We headed back and I was in bed by 10:30.

Londres: Deuxieme partie to commence. A few photos to follow; the rest will be on Facebook soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment